Sunday, October 18, 2009

Battling with the Big Meows

I have been telling myself for some time: “One of these days I am going to focus on catching catfish.” I have caught quite a few catfish by complete surprise and wondered for a while now how well I would do if the focus were placed purely on big catfish.

The recent burst of warm weather was a welcome sign for warmwater fishing. The rise in temperature opens a window of opportunity. So Saturday I left the house targeting big catfish. Had I known the full extent of what would unfold…I surely would have packed a lunch. The day turned into a battle of the big meows.


(Above: Beastly looking catfish. This guy was a work out to land. I’m using an old Shakespeare setup and 8lb line.)

The first one battled me for what seemed like hours. Just the sheer weight of these beasts makes them difficult to land. Forgot to weigh or tape the big ol cat and regretted that for several moments afterwards.

Then I got a second bite and another battle. Man, these fish can wear a guy out. Every time I thought the fish was beat, it would manage to turn its head and surge back out. Then it is a matter of grabbing and landing the huge fish. I thought the first one was tough. The second was almost impossible.


(Above: First pic of second fish-Just look at this fish! By far my largest catfish and rivals some of the pike I have caught in Colorado.)

If people knew what really was swimming in Colorado waters…they would not let their dogs and children play in them. =D


(Above: Second pic of second fish-What an amazing experience to battle such a physically powerful fish. The second fish was absolutely huge.)

The second fish weighed in at 12lbs on my lame spring scale that is half rusted. This may be a way off and not very reliable. The tape said 32-inches and I am more confident that is correct (the best I could do solo on the pontooner).



All fish were released, as big monster catfish like this deserve a lot more respect than they get these days.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

2 comments:

Don said...

All I can say is WOW MATT!!! That is a monster of a fish, a good picture and really great story!! Thanks for sharing!! Don

Coloradocasters said...

Thanks, Don! That makes three monster cats for 2009. Who knows...maybe I will target some car-sized carp next.