Monday, May 3, 2010

Crappie Slab saves the day

4/21/2010-This is a late blog post. I have fallen behind a bit but should catch up here in the next few posts.

Fishing a 40 surface acre pond recently for bass and catching a few fish here and there but nothing more than 13 or 14-inches. This trip was going to end up on the hard drive rather than on the blogilicious as it would just be a big yawn. Then I switch up from the heavy bass gear to a lighter setup and BAM! A crappie slab hits from out of nowhere.

(Above: This shot could used some better sunlight. The heavy cloud cover we have been having tends to lessen the magnificent colors in my shots.)


(Above: Video clip has been added to show more of the amazing brilliance of this fish.

Crappie are some of my favorite fish for their brilliant fin displacement and color pattern. They put up a decent battle for their size as well. The downfall of the crappie at times is the fact they are a very palatable freshwater fish. This leads to over harvesting at times. I once started a “Save the Crappie” campaign in Colorado but people kept showing up to the meetings with beer batter and tartar sauce.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

3 comments:

Bill said...

I don't know looks like it has pretty nice color to me without the sunlight. A very nice slab!

Anonymous said...

I don't get to Crappie fish much in my area. Those sure are some good looking fish, Matt. Happy hook ups!

Don said...

A two handed crappie is always a nice catch..the colors / pattern on that fish is amazing! Nice catch Matt and thanks for sharing.