Friday, September 17, 2010

Brookie Rematch

(Above: Beauty brook trout that clobbered the black ant pattern. The white stripe at the bottom of the fins really adds to the fantastic color of this fish species.)

The aspen trees are showing signs of fall as one or two leaves are changing from soft green to a vibrant yellow or gold. A few more weeks and it will be perfect. Fall always seem to find me battling over rocks and trees in the high country for trout. A few months back Don and hit a brook trout spot where Don stumbled across a new fly pattern. Schedules opened up and we penciled in a rematch of sorts. This time I would bring the long rod.

With only a day to prep the only thing needed was the ant fly pattern. Searched several locations and couldn’t find anything close. Eventually I stumbled across a hardware store with just enough fishing tackle to make my list of last-ditch places to stop in an emergency. Funny how anglers generally don’t remember the way to the hospital but will subliminally map every tackle store within a twenty-mile radius of their house. Luckily I was able to find one suitable black ant pattern in a #16. I wanted bigger but that was the only size they had. First dip into the water and it was getting flashes. A few more tries after that and fish were getting lipped.
(Above: Really bad picture of the micro-ant pattern. I tried two small dry patterns along with a few micro-creature bugs. The ant seemed to get most of the love.)

The rematch aspect of this trip was not about Don and myself. The quest was for me to try and dial in the hot ant pattern that was so successful for Don last time. He worked circles around me on that early summer trip. The number count was far more even this time I must say.

(Above: Don holding one of his beauty brooks. It almost looks as if the brook trout is copying the fin color of a clown fish for some reason. Fish are $%^^ amazing.)

Missed a few fish that will torment me in my sleep again. One fish I lost when it wrapped around someone else’s line. Luckily it was able to break off and return to the deep rather than be trapped on the wad of line. Eventually I will get into the big brooder brooks. If not on the hot spin pattern then maybe it will be on the ant.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

14 comments:

Bigerrfish said...

Whoot! whoot!! smokin post of some sweet looking feesh!
I dont know what I'm talking about but I would be willing to bet money that a size 18 would double your takes and a 20 would double that,, dude its an ant.
But when there lookin up and the bug looks alive there little hearts cant be wrong!

BeMistified said...

I find that the brook trout are the best colored/patterned trout there is. Personal opinion. Their underbelly is the color of the rising sun, their bottom fins look like a perfect Native American painting pattern and their spots perfectly placed. Thank you so much for sharing pictures of such a beautiful species.

Michael Agneta said...

Those brookies have such great colors. Beautiful fish, nice post.

Coloradocasters said...

@ Bigerrfish: I agree and will pick up more ants in all sizes. Half red\half black might be Dyno-mite!

Thanks BM, it's amazing how well these fish blend into the stream or lake bottom even with the gorgeous colors. Nature's works of art.

@Troutrageous: I'll get into some of the brutes one of these days...dangit. Love the feedback.

Mark Kautz said...

Great coloring on the Brookies. My favorite fish. Ant pattern, hmmmm. Can't wait to try it up on Red Lake.

Mark

The Sowbug said...

Sounds fun. Brookies look like aliens and it seems they tend to hold up in some of the best remote places one would want to fish.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great outing to me and boy-o-boy those are some b-e-a-utiful fish! Wow!

Pat Cohen said...

beautiful fish man

Bill Trussell said...

Matt
The brook trout has to be one of the most colorful trout of all of the trout species. Enjoyed the Post.

Wolfy said...

Beautiful fish - one of my favorites, too. I seem to find myself on tiny waters where a 8" brookie is a trophy, but they always amaze me - even the small ones - with their colors. Funny you bring up the ant - I was talking to a guy on the Col. River on Thurs. and he was extolling the virtues of the ant as well.

I should ahve a few new pics on my site thuis wekend from the last 2 days outyour way - RMNP

Coloradocasters said...

Really dig the fabulous comments folks. The ant pattern is greatly underrated, as it is not one of those “pretty dries”. Colorado has a few varieties of ant species that constantly get knocked, blown in or just plain stumble into the water. The ant is a most likely a staple in the trout’s diet on many waters. My guess is that the ant also provides a little extra crunch compared to the soft winged bugs.

Bill said...

Those are some beautiful fish! You can't beat the colors on a brookie!

sage said...

Wonderful fish! Those little buggers really fight and although I often "catch and release," I like to have a few around for dinner.

iWalton said...

I love ant patterns, one type of fly I always try out when fly fishing. Good report.