Sunday, December 19, 2010

Photos from the field

Through my adventures photos are taken that never seem to make it into specific fish posts. So much of my fishing goes unseen or heard. Even though these pictures may not be ready for prime time fishing posts, I have found a way to fit them in an excerpt called “Photos from the field.”

Roof over your head

(Above: Sometimes all you need is a roof over your head. The lawn is a bit overgrown and not sure the place is up to code…but it would do for me in a pinch.)

Grab that shot quick!

This is my year for mule deer it seems. Colorado has a lot of deer but generally the big bucks get taken out on sight…season or no season according to some. It’s a shame but a battle far beyond my will to win. But I really like deer and even venison at times. Even after a gazillion deer sightings my eyes scan the landscape for wildlife and will shout out every time I spot one.

“Look…deer…over there…wow…that’s a nice one.”
(Above: I can’t believe I got this shot. This is no zoom through the passenger side window glass. Took two pictures and then went to lower the window…glad I took the two pictures.)

Take a stick, leave a stick…

There are many trails in Colorado that vary in range of difficulty. In some cases a stick would come in really handy on the more difficult trails that may have snakes and angry branches. You know, those branches that swing back and smack you in the face making a person mutter, “What did I do?” Before you head out on the trail, take a look around for discarded walking sticks that you can take on your trek.
(Above: Fence at the trailhead for the “take a stick-leave a stick” program. I dare say this fence is fully stocked for this trail.)

When you get back, feel free to return this stick to the same spot that you found it for the next hiker to use. The “take a stick, leave a stick” program is intended to save folks from bashing, crashing and tearing up the forest to make new walking sticks. Just like the penny tray situation it is only as good as the people who use it.

A few shots from Aurora

Some trips never make it into the posts and one of my trips to Aurora was one of them. A few pictures however still stand out in my mind that were far better than the results of the fishing that day.


(Above: “Morning Gear Up”. This is a shot looking east as the sun is just peaking over the horizon. Final sip of coffee and face the water.)

2010 has been another amazing year for fantastic photographs. It always amazes me at the end of the year just how many pictures I take. This year I managed to create 80 different folders of various fishing trips and collected over 3,600 pictures and video. Most of this material made its way into various fishing posts and it is always a challenge to keep up.

Hopefully 2011 offers more fishing opportunity to all of you! Good luck and good fishing. 
(Above: “Moon over Beach House”. This is a shot of the beach house as the sun comes up late in the season.)

5 comments:

Clif said...

Nice shots!

On my list for this winter is to dig through the archives in search of similar pictures. I know they are there, I just have to find them and give them a name.

Mark Kautz said...

Great photos. I really like the beach house one. Good place to spend a week in the summer.

Mark

Anonymous said...

As always, Matt, enjoyed your Photos from the field. That is amazing the amount of camera work you do. Looking forward to 2011. Happy holidays, my friend.

cofisher said...

Nice photos Matt. This seems to be a good time to go through our little archives and organize and maybe post a year end review.

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Since I'm not much of a "fisherperson" but am a writer and a dreamer, your "Photos from the Field" are always my very favorite of your posts! The stories they create in my mind are worth at least a penny each!