Thursday, December 16, 2010

Cold revenge…

Back to Kermitt’s Walkabout looking for revenge. These fish nearly stumped me on the last run and knowing that better fish are here I made another attempt. This time I parked at the Idaho Springs exit and worked the other direction after a small snowstorm. Right off the bat I land a beauty brown on the minnow pattern. A little more time on the photo op would have been spent if I had known this was to be the only fish of the day.
The area had received a dose of snow the day before and one of the few smatterings of frozen precipitation that we have gotten. Generally this will work in my favor as I anticipated a melt to occur as we reached noontime. This melt could generate a lot of trout activity with slightly warmer conditions and many feeding opportunities. Unfortunately the cold temps held and now melt took place. Eyeing the deeper stretches I could see no fish setting up in the trough and my casts went in vain. Not a flash nor follow was to be had.

 
Worked the sweet spot of the stretch and headed back to the truck. The rest of the creek was low and guarded by a thin shelf of ice. Looking back over the quick trip on this section I was thankful for the early success. I hadn’t expected anything out of the shallow water spot and was simply trying to get into an early groove. Just proves that just about every cast can produce…make the most of it. I may have to start calling this “The Kermitt ‘one fish’ Stretch”.

Post note: This post technically should have been place in the November section but fell out of the loop for some reason. It is really tough for me to keep up sometimes.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

7 comments:

Mark Kautz said...

That's Ok Matt. We like 'em any time you post 'em.

Mark

sage said...

looks cold but fun!

cofisher said...

Nice post! As much as I enjoy reading about winter trips, it will be a cold day in that hot place before you see me tagging along. BRRRR!

Bigerrfish said...

Cool pics, no pun! yes fun!

Unknown said...

One is better than none :)

Gary Thompson said...

I had about an equal experience yesterday on the Arkansas, although a damn stretch warmer. Still, the fish were pretty lethargic. I caught a few, but nothing like the Arkansas is accustom to giving up in winter. When it was all said and done though, not bad for a Wednesday. I drove 35 miles of river and didn't see a single other angler.

Bruce said...

Hey Matt thanks for dropping in and commenting on my blog. Just read a couple of your older posts and really enjoy your blog. Keep up the good work, hopefully I'll get out in the cold to fish really soon.