Friday, June 11, 2010

Der Monster Slab

(Above: By far one of my better crappie specimens. This year I have vowed to target crappie more…just expected them earlier in the year.)

Colorado has a bounty of fishing in a wide range of species. Big crappies are not something that I come across often but will go to some lengths to get them these days. There are a few lakes that have all of the right factors to make big crappies possible. It was only a year or two ago that I started seeking these places out.

This particular fish was caught using a drop shot rig and a 1/16oz white Mister Twister grub. The hook was tied off at two feet. Drop through the edge of the wood structure and bounce lightly off the bottom. The water was about 8 to 10 feet deep.

The real trick for dialing in crappie is the depth and finding the hot areas. Electronics, spending the time searching and even clear water helps me a great deal. I still consider myself a crappie novice but working my way up the ranks in regards to size and quality of these fish. Crappies are really cool looking fish in my view. One of the main reasons I started focusing on them more. @#$%^ dig the way these fish look!

M name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

No comments: