Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wednesday’s wet and wild fish trip

As soon as the FISHmas vacation was penciled in everything started to fall apart. Projects at work exploded, new tasks were added to the pile and a few late snow storms pushed the fish back into a winter slumber. The problem with having to get requests in early is that it eliminates the flexibility to adjust as weather changes. To make the most out of everything it takes luck and good timing.
Load the tuner and face the grueling cartage in. This was the first time fishing this location for the year which led to a few surprises that I had to adjust to. Nothing worth going over except that another quarter mile was added to the journey in. Get on the water and I am doing “ok” for average bass. Size up, dig deeper and look for larger fish.

A ½ oz spinnerbait was tied on one setup and a 5” Pro Stick worm (junebug color) from Maniac Custom Lures on another rod. This is a no-scent\no salt worm that is a good option where additional regulations prohibit scented and salted lures. I bought a few packages of these and work then into the rotation.
(This particular product line is being discontinued so I went ahead and ordered a few more packages.)
Weather started out as slightly overcast with small patches of blue sky. The weather forecasts called for storms, some possibly severe later in the afternoon. My plans were to haul in a lot of gear early, fish for all I was worth in a short time and then get the heck out.  For some reason things didn’t go anything like that. It took me longer to do everything from rig a new bait to scout a patch of water. Before I knew it the schedule time slot was all but gone and I was dealing with rain.
“This isn’t too bad. Me and the tooner can stick it out”
Shortly after saying those words the sky opened up and all hell broke loose. Wind picked up from the steady 5-10mph to gusts of 40-50mph. Thunder shook the air around me. Lightning ripped over my head and it was everything I could do to scramble for a beachhead.
Scrambling for the metal cart on the far side of the pond I then loaded the metal framed tooner with aluminum oars. For several years I have carried a rain poncho but never had to actually deploy it. By 2Pm I couldn’t get the poncho out fast enough.
The drenched gear was hauled over the trail the long distance back to the parking lot. Rain seemed to fall less and less every five minutes or so. Reach the truck and hardly a drop is falling. Sometimes I think natures loves to taunt me and knows exactly when to mess with my fishing. At least this time I had some warning from the weather people what I was up against.
The crucial mistake I made was not noticing the shuttle wind shift. Clouds were moving north east in the morning but had started moving more to the south east later in the day. The big, dark storm clouds were supposed to go right by me leaving a small patch of blue sky right at the edge of the storm. Now it is clear that patch of blue sky was simply bait used to lure me into the storm’s trap. Well played storm cloud. Well played.
My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Mother Nature wins, sometimes the fish win, next time is your turn!