Sunday, September 23, 2012

Quick cast down town

“Just grab the gear and go.” These words slip into my brain sent probably by my casting elbow. “There is enough time to hit the DT section.” Next thing I know a rod is loaded up and my truck is heading to the water.

A few rainstorms here and there have created a spur of action on the creek. Water running through the drainage areas can wash all sorts of insects into the main flow. This can kick trout into feeding mode. It also allows me to get away with a few spin patterns. Fall colors such as gold, brown and yellow are primary patterns this time of year. Second choice is black or olive. A few casts and the fish will tell me what they prefer.  

The downtown stretch can offer a decent numbers day in regards to fish but don’t expect much in the way of size. In fact I am surprised when twelve inchers come to the hand. If you fish this stretch it helps to arrive early in the morning or later in the afternoon. The bite is slightly better and the trail traffic is substantially less. Catch and release is prescribed as the fish populations are constantly rebuilding from on disaster or another.  

Even when things get hectic for me there is still time enough to grab a quick cast. Similar to this post the trip was quick and to the point. This material is a week or two old so a short write up will help add it to the post section.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

No comments: