Wednesday, August 25, 2010
The story of 3 fishing hooks and a turtle named Murtle
AURORA - A turtle who nearly died from swallowing fish hooks is doing well thanks to some good Samaritans and a generous local vet. She's been named "Murtle the Turtle" and will be returned to the pond on Wednesday.
The turtle got into big trouble at a pond near Interstate 70 and Ward Road last Wednesday. She had a fishing hook caught in her mouth, and was tangled in a net two feet under water. She could barely come up for air.
Murtle would have died had it not been for the curiosity of Ronald Groves and Robin Haney. The couple was walking around the pond, when they noticed a fishing line that led from a tree into the water. They decided to follow the line to see what might be at the other end. That's when they found Murtle struggling to stay alive.
They immediately untangled her, and tried to remove the hook on her mouth. They couldn't get it out, so they brought the turtle to Seven Hills Veterinary Center located at 18511 East Hampden Avenue in Aurora.
Dr. Michael Ley immediately had the turtle X-rayed, which revealed even bigger problems. In addition to the hook in her mouth, Murtle had two more fishing hooks lodged inside of her. The hooks had torn her esophagus, preventing her from eating.
Ley also discovered Murtle had pneumonia .
Ley performed two surgical procedures, lasting two hours each, to remove the two hooks she swallowed. The hook on her mouth was the easiest to remove.
Ley also gave Murtle injectable antibiotics , and put her on a feeding tube.
Staff blended nutritional supplements with water, and put it in the feeding tube. It's not ideal turtle food, but Ley says he had to do something to give her nutrition and strength, since her esophagus was damaged and she didn't want to eat.
Now she is back to herself and was discharged from the clinic on Tuesday. Groves and Haney plan to return her to the pond Wednesday morning.
Link to full article and pictures of Murtle (proper spelling is Myrtle by the way).
Matt’s Rant: I came across this story in my pile of fishing related news links and felt obligated to pass this along. Not only do I fish here but do an annual cleanup every year. It never fails that I find plenty of fishing hooks and spent fishing line all over the place. This not only damages wildlife but severely damages the positive outlook on fishing by others. If you read through the entire article, the veterinarian is quoted as saying, “…this is why fishing hooks shouldn’t be used.”
Realize if the non-fishing community turns against the fishing community…anglers could lose a lot of privilege in regards to public water. Ill behavior by a few anglers hurts us all in the long run. This is why my constant cleanup projects and conservation mantra is a cornerstone of my blogilicious. Next time you see some spent fishing line or hooks laying on the ground at your fishing waters, pick it up and say…”This one is for you, Murtle.”
Good Luck and Good Fishing
Posted by Coloradocasters