Friday, June 7, 2013

Two big fatties


Did I mention that I like to fish? Have I talked about how much effort, pain and research I go through in hopes of catching really big fish? Every year I focus a lot of attention in hopes of landing some epic prespawn fatties. It seems to get tougher ever year.

These fish came from a section of ponds that are not very big and a total shorebang situation. Once again the trick wasn’t targeting the nesting the males but rather search casting the water just a few yards beyond the nesting zone.


Both fish came off of the southwestern edge of the pond. This quarter of the lake congregated the nesting activity as it had everything a bass could want. Shallow nesting shelf and then a sharp incline that led instantly into deeper water. A little bit of wood structure and emerging plant growth mixed in as well. No tape, no weight. Just ham it up a lil and get the fish back to minimize the stress. These fish could be sisters they look so similar. Both fish hit a 4” salamander, green pumpkinseed rigged with an 1/8oz Texas rig.

 

Sport Preservation note: Put the big fish back! If you take fish like this out of the system ultimately you are hurting the sport in many ways. Each time I show a big fish picture I worry about how many people will be encouraged to take up the sport of angling only to take home everything they catch.

My name is Matt and I’m a fishaholic.

4 comments:

Bill Trussell said...

Congrats big time here, a lot of fisherman go a lifetime and never come close to landing bass like that. thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Real nice Bass, Matt, real nice! Thanks for the comment at the end of this post. I felt it is important to keep stuff like that in mind.

sage said...

Nice fish! Congratulations. Two weeks ago I got into a small pond that requires some canoeing to get to and although the fishing wasn't great, caught one 15 inch largemouth on a ultralight, it was a fun catch, but I let it go without taking a pic

Coloradocasters said...

@:Bill: Thank you, sir. I try to catch a few specimens like this every year and these two fish were purely a story of being at the right place at the right time.

@Mel: Good to hear from you, Mel. Colorado is not a bass management state so my blog often sounds like an afterschool special. I’ve seen a lot of big bass get hauled out of my favorite spots this year and this kind of pressure is unsustainable.

@Sage: Very nice. It’s not so much about getting the photo in my mind as much as it is letting big fish go. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment, Sage.